Saturday, January 26, 2013

homemade almond milk


This is a staple around the house since I have tried to go milkless lately. I have a hard time with dairy since pregnancy and since good dairy is so expensive, I would rather cook with this than use up precious money draining sources. :) Plan to start the night before you need it.



Ingredients:
-water
-almonds
-sea salt (optional if sweetening)
-vanilla (optional)
-sweetner (agave, honey, maple syrup, stevia) (opional)

Directions:
1. Soak 1 cup almonds ina bowl of water overnight- you need a good amount of water as the almonds swell
2. The next morning- drain the almonds and put in a high powered blender with 4 cups water (filtered perferably) and no mine is not a vitamix or blendtek- but oh how I wish I had one!!!
3. Blend on high for about 2 minutes or less
4. Strain contents into another bowl or pitcher etc. I actually use a clean dish towel and it works great.
5. Put the milk back into the rinsed blender and add some salt, sweetner and vanilla to taste if wanted and give it a swirl
6. Put into fridge

Contents will settle in the fride- no need to worry- just give a little shake and tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment