This is a recipe from my neighbor from Saudi Arabia, she shared it with me the other night and I wanted to give it a try with the family. It turned out great and the whole family loved it! It is so simple and fast and a nice change up from rice.
2 C Bulgar Wheat
Approximately 2-4 cups water
1/2 onion chopped
2-3 garlic cloves chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Put the grain in a bowl and cover with hot water just until it reaches the top of the grain and let sit for about 10-15 min.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pot and saute onion and garlic until fragrant and translucent.
3. When the onion mixture is done add the bulgar (which will have soaked up the water and be plump) to the pot and fill with water until it covers the mixture 1-2 inches.
4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or so, until the water is gone and it is easily fluffed like rice.
5. Add salt and pepper and fluff with a fork.